Monday, April 19, 2010

Symmetry. Reflections. Same but different

So I have neglected the blog for far too long. I have been writing it in my head everyday, and some times on paper when I have a free minute away from papers at school. I decided that spring break update will have to wait. I will do that VERY soon. I promise.

Last week I was given the opportunity to teach Math. If you knew me while going to school k-um last year, you would know that math and I just don't get each other. Well that used to be true. Teaching something you don't understand (to people who believe anything you say, and have much less understanding than yourself) is the best way to learn something. Obviously I study the materials to use, research a little online, and think back to what I learned at U of I, but when it comes down to it, I learn most of it while I teach it. I think it's more fun this way. When I see a students "light turn on" I can recognize it more easily mostly because mine turned on two seconds before. The excitement for learning and flipping of the switch becomes contagious and soon, instead of only a few lights turned on, there are just a couple that forgot to turn up the dimmers.

Anyways, where am I going with this? My lessons last week and this week are all about symmetry, and reflections, then moving to positive and negative integers. We are starting with simple images and reflections of images noting that one comes BEFORE the line of symmetry, and the same BUT different comes AFTER the line of symmetry as a reflection. This on paper with pictures translates better into -1, 0, 1. 0 being the line of symmetry. Teacher talk - I could honestly go on and on about this stuff.

While i was on vacation for spring break I knew that I would be observed for my teaching of mathematics and would fall asleep thinking of ways to do the best way I could. The "working interview" as they called it. It was all about symmetry and reflections. Observation went well. They got an authentic look on what my classroom would look like day to day. I was happy with the lesson... Since my observation, I have been doing my own reflections and seeking my own symmetry.

When we label the line of symmetry, there is always a preimage, the line of symmetry, and an image. My light turned on the other day when I realized that this trip is my line of symmetry. I was one person - preimage - I crossed a line of symmetry - flying to the Balkans - and when i return i will be the image - what is on the reflection of the line of symmetry -. This light bulb wasn't exciting. It was scary. ha.

I now have 4 more weeks left here in Skopje, and with all the talk of reflection in math class I can't help but start to reflect on my time spent here thus far. One thing is for sure, it has been an experience. A positive one at that.

On Saturday I was able to host a brunch at a friends house. This idea of brunch is not unheard of by locals but it is not common - dinner is a 4 anyways so why not just wait? Really what it boiled down to is the discovery of Mimosas. I had explained what they are, and when you drink them (other than whenever you want) and at the moment I mentioned this concoction is was decided that we will have brunch.

I must say, having an American meal was excellent. I made French toast, scrambled eggs, and of course, the mimosas. We had fruit salad and yogurt as well as different bread and cheeses just for fun. Another thing that was added, much to my chagrin, Nutella. I have a love hate relationship with Nutella.... I could eat a container in a day I love it so much. Problem is, it hates me so by so generously giving me some extra lbs.

Brunch was a success. We all - a colleague and friend Matthew, our friends Igor, and Tanja, and Igor's friends Nive and Amanda - decided that pancakes were the next menu item, along with bacon and perhaps omelets. Oh to top it all off, we had real North American drip coffee. It was Starbucks so maybe it was from Kenya? I don't know if I trust the packaging. Either way, it wasn't instant, it was Heavenly.

Last week, this weekend, and so far this week, have all been rainy and cold with a bits and sporadic pieces of sunshine. I am ready for a constant stream of sunlight and warmth, but all in good time. I came back to Skopje to enjoy cherry trees blossoming among all the other foliage coming into full bloom. Life is good. : )


Ok. So now you know. I am alive, and still lovin life. I've got a half marathon coming up May 9th - 13 miles - I'm an idiot. Teaching math is rocking my socks, and I have two more informal observations (principal just drops by whenever I am teaching and watches WHENEVER) and one more formal observation (scheduled observation) before I graduate. Which happens May 15th, one day after I complete my internship.

I can't believe it's almost over. Wow.

Ok. off to research then sleep.

Miss ya all, excited to catch up in 6-7 weeks! I'll be updating from break soon this week, and my goal is to update this 4-6 more times before i arrive home. : )

CHAO!

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment