Monday, February 15, 2010

Mardi Gras Embassy style... and more

Thursday night that the gym I ran into the business manager of the school, Ivan. He told me that he was going to a Marine party at the U.S. Embassy the following night (Friday) and asked if I would like to join. "It will be a night of Drunk Americans." Truer words may never have been spoken.

We went to the Embassy around 8:00 p.m. Getting in was a HUGE ordeal. They thought that my name was Kevin and not Evan, so the security didn't want to let me in. Then when we got in the security was just like that of an airport, belt, coat, wallet, phone off.... they practically made me take my pants off because of the metal studs on the jeans. These aren't any flashy jeans either. Whatever, we got in. Ivan introduces me to his friend from way back to his undergrad days at Western Washington University, Zacky boy. Zack was a whole different class then what I was expecting. I know Ivan moderately well. He works for a school, takes dancing lessons, dresses sharply, very calm and collected (which it seems most Macedonians are) so naturally I was expecting a friend of his to be the same way. HAHA. Zacky boy, reminded me of Grangeville. It felt like home. He was just a little more tough guy than the crowd I hang out with at home, but harmless to say the least.

The Marine Party had a Mardi Gras theme and the marines were selling Hurricanes as their "token" drink. The party was pretty lame, mostly marines, thier wives, or the Marine groupie crowd, but we stayed until 11:00 just to head to a bar down at the center. Remember bars make last call at midnight, and clubs start getting fun around one a.m. After hanging out at a Cuban bar for a brief albeit crowded 40 minutes we sauntered over to a club by the sultry name of 69... Make the jokes, I think I heard all of them that can be made that night.

I have been told a countless amount of times never to get drunk around you coworkers or your boss. I have typically maintained a level of decency when abiding by this cautionary advice. That being said, have you ever had a Hurricane on a semi empty stomach, let alone 3? Bottom line, We all had a great time. I now know some marines that need a babysitter every once and a while, (I'm still trying to figure out why, their kids live inside the most secure location in all of Skopje) and a couple others who want to go to the bars and be able to speak English with other people.

The club was fun. The music was pretty good, but no one was dancing. I asked Ivan's other friend that he brought along why that was, and he responded that Macedonians don't really dance when they go out. I think I need to find some different Macedonians to go out with. I want to dance. All in all, grand night/almost 10 hours out in the city.

Saturday was a BEAUTIFUL day. I probably haven't seen a day in Skopje quite like it since I first arrived. I ambitiously walked to the market to do my weekly shopping, which never ceases to entertain me, and had plans to go out and enjoy the weather. Upon getting back home I realized how sunny and bright the apartment was, but that it needed a good cleaning. With the windows open, music pumping I got this place in tip top shape. Then I needed a nap. Finally when I woke up the hurricanes hit. I went back to bed and slept it off. Enjoyable Saturday. I'm thinking that I like my flat too much. I have no problem hanging out at home because it's just too damn cool, I love this place. This will change soon however.

Sunday was a big day of the same Sunday routine. Walk around the city, hit the gym, eat some food get ready for the school week.

Monday. I'm finally getting the hang of the classroom. I am able to not only suggest changes in the classroom, but at this point finally begin to implement them. Things are getting good. Radica and I are always sharing snacks with each other. Her mom loves to cook and we love to eat. I can make cookies and buy crackers and instant coffee, her mom just opens a Macedonian cook book to a random page and cooks. Today we had this sweet desert type of noodle dish. Essentially it was (I say "it was" because it is all gone already) spaghetti noodles, but much thinner, boiled and tossed with a simple syrup type dressing with walnuts thrown in the mix and then baked. Picture it like baklava but instead of pastry it was pasta. Very sweet, extra rich, delicious to the last bite.

I had given up on the Postal Service and with Mom's go ahead decided that this week I would buy a camera not knowing when the heck it would arrive in the mail. TADA!!! Today.
There is a whole other blog dedicated to paying rent to the Landlords, having dinner with them and then making a trip to the post office to get the mail that I will save for tomorrow. :)

Chao.

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment