Monday, March 22, 2010

Amsterdam and Vienna!











Holy cow.

What a weekend. I want to start by saying thank you to Alisa and Robin for going to Amsterdam during their spring break. I know they didn't do it for me, but the fact that they encouraged me to meet them for their break during this weekend.... what a trip. Alisa and Robin are two friends of mine from Moscow that worked at One World Cafe in Moscow with me. This is how our trip went.

I left Skopje at 4:00 Friday, am arrived in Amsterdam at 12:00. First thing I noticed other than buildings with history were the bikes. There were bikes EVERYWHERE. As I later found out, the same problem I have with crazy divers here in Skopje I would have the same problem with bikers in Amsterdam. Apparently I am a careless pedestrian.

I met up with Alisa and Robin at the stellar apartment they and two other ladies from Moscow were renting. Alisa was awake, while Robin was still sleeping. In the middle of harassing Robin for sleeping she reminded me that she was on Idaho time still; I can't believe I forgot that existed.

Robin at first kept mentioning how strange it was to see me in a far away land. To me, seeing someone from home.... best ever.

Alisa and I walked around while robin went back to sleep. We noticed similar, and different things about Amsterdam. Alisa's perspective picked up on similarities and differences from back home, while mine were more in tune to similarities and differences to Skopje.

Somewhere around 7:00 P.M. our night took off. Robin had made some friends at a bar close to their apartment --- oh yeah the apartment was right off one of the many canals that Amsterdam has in it's city, fantastic --- this bar was really fun, a place where I think anyone from home would enjoy. Seeking a little more excitement and movement, Alisa and I were craving some dancing. We had researched some good places to go, and found them quickly. PARTY central. Amsterdam is like Vegas, just better. (side note: never been to Vegas)

Upon entering the first bar we made friends with people instantly. Drinks and dancing go hand in hand with making friends apparently. We moved on to several other bars and didn't make it home until 7:00 a.m.

Saturday

I slept until 11:00 and while the girls were still sleeping I decided it would be the best possible choice to take my haggard butt on a run. Why do I torture myself. Naturally, with the directional sense of a toddler, I got lost. Thankfully I had one of my longer running playlists on my ipod. In 2 hours I used most of it.
I never felt cold in Amsterdam (that I remember) but I know that I was pretty much always wet. If there wasn't rain there was a mist, if there wasn't mist, it was just humid enough to make you feel the moisture in the air. Only for a about 15 minutes did the rain poor down in a real rain storm. This was just long enough for each of us to cave in and purchase an umbrella from a close by gift shop. with in 10 minutes of the purchase no umbrella necessary. ha.

Knowing that we would not be sleeping at all Saturday night (my flight left at 5:00 a.m. from Amsterdam and theirs at 11:00 a.m.) it became a clear choice to go home and take a quick nap. By 9:00 p.m. we were out the door ready for yet another night out in Amsterdam. Our first stop was the Redlight district. I was expecting far worse, but was still uncomfortable by what there was in parts of this neighborhood. We didn't stay long. This night --- with the understanding that navigating through an airport alone and intoxicated would be as much fun as a plane ride hungover - was not as crazy as the night before but we all had an excellent time as it was. Robin went to her bar while Alisa and I went to our two or three.

SUNDAY

Amsterdam to Vienna - Vienna to Skopje - all supposed to take no more than 6 hours... Fortunately for me however it took almost 22. In Vienna there was a slight overbooking issue. The airline offered any volunteer to switch flights from 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. a voucher for lunch and dinner along with 155 Euro or 255 airline ticket voucher. I practically sprinted to the counter. Guess what, I win. I not only took the free ticket, but switched the airport lunch voucher for a bus ticket and was able to explore Vienna.
This city is breath taking. I wish I was more prepared to have gone and looked around. I didn't (and still don't) know anything about this city, but was able to walk around and see some of the most stunning buildings I've ever witnessed. It seemed that every corner I turned there was another statue, fountain, building you name it.

After a whirl wind weekend I made it back to my flat at 1:30 a.m. Monday. School was a LONG day today. Luckily, Radica - my teacher - was very understanding of my weekend and gave me a break, tomorrow she is expecting much better she told me with a smile. : )

I'll post pictures.

If you have facebook I have been posting many many more pictures on there because it is SOOO easy. I'll post a few here and all of them there. Look me up.

Chao!

Evan


Also please excuse any spelling or grammar errors I'm using lack of sleep as my reason. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment