Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'm Lovin it.

The title is really more about a story... wait for it.


Things are going well for me here these last couple weeks. Gosh has it been that long since I have sat down and posted?
I am going to Amsterdam to meet some friends from Moscow (IDAHO) in 12 days. Can not wait for that. Until then I am spending plenty of time at school, and hanging with friends here as well.

Part of hanging out with friends involves meeting new friends as well. In my almost 9 weeks here I have learned that meeting people in Macedonia on your own is challenging. In the states you can go to a bar or coffee shop on your own establish your self as a regular within a weeks time and start to make friends based on locations that you frequent. Here that is not the case. However, after meeting one person you are instantly part of a network. If you are friends with one person it is not a problem to now be friend with all of their friends. For instance, Matthew, the new teacher from Canada, has introduced me to a few of his friends here in Skopje, through them I have met a few new people. After meeting any of these people it would not be a problem to call them up and meet for coffee. In this way Macedonians are a very friendly and warm people, you just have to meet them first.

Matthew took me to an British Pub last weekend. I was thrilled! I would be able to drink beer other than Skopsko or Lasko, maybe something more divers than Heinekin. Unfortunately, as the thickly accented owner Josh informed me, British ales are too expensive to import so, "we make do with what we have and we drink it til the last drop." I say Ne zdravje (cheers) to that.

I had my first observation and assessment of my teaching this last Monday. The lesson went well, I certainly didn't think it was that exciting just an everyday lesson, day to day interactions. It was a little different because I was introducing our new Literature Unit of Survival... Can't make too many jokes about the Survival of people especially when one of the selections we will be reading is an excerpt from "The Diary of Anne Frank." Either way in my evaluation the idea of future employment here at NOVA was dropped in a casual informal way. Pretty exciting stuff. Who knows.

I have been doing more and more of my own thing in class. For the last several weeks, I have been following my teachers format of lessons and teaching, methods and strategies. It was seriously leading to a teaching identity crisis. After just a few days of integrating my own ideas class is much more fun.

To the title of the post. Last night Matthew and I met up with our friends Tanya and Nada to watch Shutter Island. Tanya decided she wanted a sweet treat before the movie and we went to the food court for a sunday from McDonalds. While in line Tanya and I were discussing Skopje, Nova, and experiences so far. When she asked how I was feeling towards the experience as a whole I said I was liking it. She quickly corrected me, "No, You are actually Lovin' it at the moment."

--- very corny story but it made me laugh at the time.---

One thing I must say that is indicative of Tanya's correction, Macedonians love their country. They understand and are the first to point out it's short comings, issues and problems. The common trend is this, someone will ask me, "What on earth brought you to Macedona?" I'll explain and then pose this question, "what makes you stay in Macedonia?" The answer is almost alway, "Why would I leave, this is the best place in the world to live." Even with the issues involving the politics of the current administration here people love living here. I have to admit the feeling is contagious.

Political opinion back home, unless you are with friends is a topic that isn't discussed. Fights can break out over it. Here, and it could just be the circle of people I hang with, there seem to be two types of political groups. Activists, the ones that disagree with what the government is doing and so they speak about it, go to speeches/conferences, and try to do something, and share their opinions, then there are those who disagree with what is happening but when asked of their opinion their level of upset is so great that they "would rather not think of such things."

--- Outsiders perspective coming up ---

The current controversy going on right now is that the Macedonian government is funding this project they call Skopje 2014. You can actually search it on Youtube and get virtual video of all the goals the government has for Skopje. Right now mass amounts of funding is being pumped into the construction of a church right in the center square, along with the creation of many more statues throughout the city. Many of the people I have talked with about this controversy are throughly unhappy with the proceedings. I for one am trying not too form to harsh of ideals do to my level of understanding, however it is not hard to see that the funds are being used irresponsibly and should be allocated for various other things; health care, education, creating more jobs in the community...

This is currently a really hot topic here, and always presents the availability of great conversation and discussions. The amount of people that work in the Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) are large (again could just be the circle I hang out with) and many of the NGO people I know are for various reasons unhappy with what the government is producing. Everyday I feel like I am learning more and more about Macedonia and specifically Skopje.

....

Ok time to hit the gym, maybe clean the house.


Chao!

No comments:

Post a Comment