Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday the 8th.

It's really Saturday morning... I'm up at 4:13 still trying to get used to this time switch. Friday was a good day, very low key and relaxing. I slept in, most likely due to the time change only to walk a block or two to the green market. The green market is basically what is sounds like, a market with plenty of fruit and vegetable vendors to choose from. Each vendor as I passed by asked for my attention saying different phrases, none of which I understood. I didn't end up purchasing anything, maybe later today. After my walk around the market I decided to find my school. NOVA (my school) turned out to be much closer than I originally anticipated, less than a 10 minute walk. I found it easily went inside and met with the business admin. Ivan. I had met Ivan at that airport and found him greatly hospitable. I think thats part of his job though. : ) He gave me a quick tour of campus, I can't remember exactly I think at this point enrollment is around 600 students K-12. I might be wrong. they are in the process of constructing a new building right now that I will likely be assisting in the moving process. The school is already using a newly constucted K-2 building. It is a FANCY building, even for U.S. standards. Materials and the way the building functions were created in the most efficient and environmentally friendly way that cost could allow. I'm eagerly anitcipating what the new building that my classroom will be moving into will look like.

On the tour I met many of the administration staff, a common comment was that I did infact look very foreign (not sure why, other than the fact that I am a foreigner) and that I look like a highschool exchang student. ~ I am hoping this youthful look follows me into my old age. ha.
Everyone was very welcoming and seemed as excited as I am to have me on board.

Classroom sizes seemed very small compared to what I am used to in the states, but I am thinking this just means I will not have to speak up too loud to get students attention.
After my tour of the school I found the route of choice to and from my apartment and took a short nap.

Deciding that I had to do something I rembered on my run seeing a strip mall type of community just a few minutes down the way off the main street, Partisanska St. After exploring I found a cool looking cafe to walk into. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I was very underdressed for the occasion in a hoodie and jeans. The bar had both espresso machine and coffee makers but even more than that, this cafe (and I'm thinking this is common) is also a full service bar... I decided that at 4 p.m. I would go for the coffee instead. At $1.20 USD a pop I can get used to this.

I foolishly left my camera at home --- in Idaho --- mom kindly sent it in the mail today (thanks mom) there will be pictures of these places soon.

After the cafe, I began my walk home. To get from one side of Partisansa to the other you have to cross 6 lanes, 3 going each direction. To cross the street, essentially you wait for the lane closest to you to be open and then cross as the next lanes free up. Crosswalks exist but not in the same way. It is almost as if I am in a game of Frogger...

Dodging cars, checking out cafes, markets and the school pretty much was all my day amounted to. Tomorrow (rather today) I have a list of everyday items I need to get, and plan on hitting a night on the town.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment