Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesdays used to be for Margaritas...

One of the things I hugely miss from home - aside from mom's cooking - is an almost bi-weekly event that I came to cherish this last fall semester. 2 for 1 Margarita night at Casa Lopez in Moscow ,Idaho. Not that I'm a sucker for margaritas, but the price is right, atmosphere is fun, and the company, always my favorite.

At my school here in Skopje however, there is a new tradition I will be filling my Wednesdays with. Ice skating. That's right, ice skating. The way I see it every community or neighborhood has their sport, or activity that children grow up doing. Some grow up playing soccer, others baseball, maybe basketball, tennis, golf, etc etc. Only a handful of people I knew growing up were ice skaters. Here in Skopje (I'm sure in other places too) children grow up playing football (soccer), and ice skating.

Before tonight I had only ice skated once before, about 13 years ago, for maybe an hour. I was a big inline skater back in 2nd and 3rd grade; I think that worked out to my advantage. The P.E. teacher for the primary grades Panche tried to wrangle me into chaperoning last week, but alas I had a NYE to celebrate. This week, I had no excuse and a class full of excited 4th graders cheering me on. Have no fear, no one was let down.

I met Panche and his family at NOVA so that I could hitch a ride along with him. I've mentioned Skopje driving, and I was sure that Panche wouldn't dissapoint. Luckily he drives a 1980 Lada, a small, smurf blue, Russian built automobile. Where Ford is built like a rock, Lada (or this one anyway) is built like a tank. I actually felt safe weaving through traffic, this time.

Ice skating as it turns out, is much more fun than I remembered and anticipated it being. I raced several students, one of which shared, "Mr. Evan, you are much slower on ice skates, than when you run. Tag is way more fun now." Thanks Alex. I managed to tag him shortly after. : )

After successfully avoiding too many pride dwindling falls, just barely slipping away with no bruises, I arrived at home craving for my usual Wednesday night. Well since I can't have Casa Lopez, or my fantastic company from home, I figure I'll supply the drinks myself. That's right you guessed it. Ice skating, followed by ice cold Margaritas.

Now I just need to find some salsa in this country. Wish me luck.

Cheers, and Ciao!

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment